Things to Do
Within walking distance:
Scafell Pike - England's highest mountain
Wastwater - England's deepest lake
Hundreds of riverside, valley and mountain walks
Hardknott Roman Fort & Ravenglass Roman
Ravenglass fishing village
Fold End Art Gallery
- The Japanese Garden in Giggle Alley forest.
Stanley Ghyll waterfall
- Fishing on river or local stocked pools (day permit available
from Holmrook Garage).
- The village shop at Eskdale sells a comprehensive range of goods,
including groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, food to go, alcohol
and newspapers, as well as outdoor clothes and equipment: www.eskdalestores.co.uk.
- Wild swimming in the famous pools and waterfalls of the river Esk.
Within an hour's drive:
- Boating on Derwentwater, Coniston and Windermere
- Windermere, with its Steamboat Museum, marina, water skiing
- Horse riding and pony trekking
- Dozens of historical houses and castles open to the public
- Wordsworth's birthplace and his homes, Dove Cottage and Rydal
- Brantwood, home to John Ruskin: www.brantwood.org.uk
- Golf courses
- Cumbria's coast with sandy beaches
- The 'Theatre by the Lakeside' at Keswick: www.theatrebythelake.com
- Shopping at Ambleside and Kendal
- West Lakes Adventure offers a choice of Lake District activities including rock climbing, abseiling, ghyll scrambling and kayaking.
- Steamboat Gondola on Coniston
Stott Park Bobbin Mill Museum
- South Lakeland Wild Animal Park: www.wildanimalpark.co.uk
Fisherground even has it's own station for the l'aal ratty railway
Please click here for other
websites that may be of interest.